Our Ostomy Program
At McKesson Patient Care Solutions, we understand the ostomy products we supply are important to patients’ quality of life. Our ostomy program can be described in three words – Products, Service and Support. Healthcare professionals, patients and insurance payers can have peace of mind knowing patients are able to receive the ostomy supplies they need. MPCS ships ostomy supplies directly to patients and bills the patients’ insurance on their behalf.
Our ostomy program can be used by:
- Home health agencies
- Long term care facilities
- Health systems
- Hospital discharge planners
- Case managers
- Wound, ostomy and continence nurses
- Specialty physician practices such as urologists or colon and rectal surgeons
We are able to provide ostomy supplies for patients with chronic or acute medical conditions such as:
- Bowel cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis
- Familial Adenomatous Polyposis
- Congenital bowel diseases
- Neurogenic bowel
There are different types of ostomy. Some examples are2:
- Ileostomy: An ileostomy is an opening in the belly (abdominal wall) that is made during surgery. The end of the ileum (the lowest part of the small intestine) is brought through this opening to form a stoma, usually on the lower right side of the abdomen.
- Colostomy: A colostomy is an opening in the belly (abdominal wall) that is made during surgery. The end of the colon (large intestine) is brought through this opening to form a stoma.
- Urostomy: A urostomy is an opening in the belly (abdominal wall) that is made during surgery. It redirects urine away from a bladder that is diseased or not working as it should. The bladder is either bypassed or removed.
More Products to Meet More Ostomy Needs
MPCS offers an extensive inventory of ostomy supplies includes options for colostomy, ileostomy and urostomy representing the industry’s leading manufacturers such as Coloplast, ConvaTec and Hollister. We offer ostomy supplies for short-term use or a lifetime condition to support continuity of care. Brand requests are typically honored if products are stocked by MPCS. We ship ostomy supplies directly to patients’ homes or alternate care sites across the United States.
Exceptional Service for Healthcare Professionals and Patients
We also provide these services to our customers:
- Initial patient orders are shipped for delivery next business day and patients who reorder typically receive products within one to two business days. 1 There is no charge for standard shipping.
- Representatives are available to take orders and answer questions about products.
- We are a contracted supplier with hundreds of managed care payers and are a participating provider with Medicare and many Medicaid plans.
- Insurance specialists verify benefits for products and quantities of reimbursable supplies the patients' insurance will cover.
- A variety of ordering options (phone, fax and electronic) are available.
1 Shipping is contingent upon receiving product authorization from the insurance payer if required and a physician’s order if required by state law for the product and does not apply to incontinence products and breast pumps.
2 Source: Cancer.org. Ostomies. November 2, 2014. Retrieved from American Cancer Society website http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/physicalsideeffects/ostomies